Saturday, March 22, 2008

march be gone

OMG we wake up again this morning to 3 or 4 inches of newfallen snow. It's so tiresome. I made a half-hearted attempt at graphing out my backyard for the day, which may never come, when I can plant stuff. I'd be happy if I could get out there and pick up those 800 pine cones in the back yard. But alas, they're always snow-covered.

I went in the basement to try and find my tape measure, which I cannot, but decide to sort through some crap and now have a bag going to the Goodwill and one to the trash and a box to take to my mom's someday. Where I found a Milky Way box from the 50s with all the cards my parents received upon the occasion of my birth. And some Mothers Club documents from the fifties that my mom was in. I also decided to make a list of Anne's detritus that's down there and email her this and see if I can pitch stuff like this little oven, toaster, coffeepot combo she had when she was at the acting school dorm and a huge number of shoes I'm sure she has no interest in and a bag of Justin Timberlake memorabilia which maybe I should try to sell on eBay.

So I went to Turbo Kick and then I remember I have again signed up to staff the phone for the radio station fund drive noon to 2 so I do that although I am preempted from my show by women's basketball. By 2 p.m., I am despondent. I drag around to the video store and the Happy Badger where I buy soap and incense. So far I had had egg sandwich, a bowl of granola with blueberries and some cheese and crackers.

Finally at 5:30 (thank god it's still light out in the evenings or I'd REALLY be crabby) I vacuum and sweep the kitchen and do 3 loads of laundry and clean out the fridge and put a potato in the oven to bake. I called Miss Jenks to see if she wanted to talk later while drinking but she's going to a concert where Leo Kottke opens for Leon Redbone. She says she's leaving after Leo Kottke but alas I may be drinking by then.

We were supposed to go to Kim and Jim's for cards tonight but we were able to convince ourselves that the roads would be icy on the way home if not before and called to decline. I feel bad but frankly, nobody wants to hear me whine about how SICK OF WINTER I am.

I had half the potato and a salad for dinner around 7 while listening to Prairie Home Companion.

I rented the second half of the last season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. And I hooked up that DVD player I got a month ago to the TV, which is a bonus. Brought the drill up from the basement pretending like I was going to put up the curtain rod for that valance but of course have not done it.

Tomorrow Connie and I are going to the Collingwood Arts Center for a movie in the afternoon. Maybe eating after.

Just talked to Karen Schaller in Dallas and I'm going down there around the weekend of April 19. Need to book a flight. She's getting tickets to see Will Kimbrough at the Bend Studio while I'm there. I would link to the Bend website but it has one of those annoying audio files that takes forever to download.

Allrightythen. Miss Jenks is flying into Cincinnati May 16 so we can attend the Ohio River Valley Folk Fest where I see Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band has been replaced by Otis Gibbs. But we'll still get to see Chris Smither and James McMurty, among others. Got the tickets in the mail today and have the Best Western booked for 2 nights. Miss Jenks emailed to say it should say in our biographies "Let it be known that on the last day of winter of the Year of the Great Depression, they planned another musical getaway."

No comments: