Monday, February 18, 2008

Windy city

Man, it was windy today. But partly sunny and above freezing, so not so bad. Here's an annoying wind story: Yesterday, I had seen this gallon plastic milk jug in the driveway and as I was leaving in the car, I thought "Better pick that up." But I don't. So about 11 p.m. as I am in bed, I can hear the wind playing hockey with this jug between my and Mrs. Eilert's back gates. I put on shoes, go out, toss it in the trash. About an hour later, I hear the wind whip the top open on the trash and BY GOD whip that jug out onto the driveway to batter it back and forth again. So I have to go out a second time and jam it securely in the trash bin. I hope I have not angered the wind gods. I always fear a road sign shearing free and slicing my head off in the freak accident way in which I expect to end my days.

I did a radio show from noon to 2. Last night I did my taxes and I get a grand total of $500 back from state and feds combined. But not paying, except $92 to the school district because I only had that taken out of my check for a little over 6 months.

Then I had cooking school where I made yam, turnip, watercress chowder and mushroom onion quiche and some wacky sauce for chicken for which I have not made the chicken yet. But it's only 6 p.m., might still. Plus I'm going to prepare a vat of mac and cheese with smoked sausage to tide me over. Had to take a break and do dishes before round 2.

What's coming up this weekend? I don't see anything on the calendar but I'm going to IKEA on Saturday with some women from work. Brian's birthday fest is at Howard's Saturday 3-6 which looks like I'll miss. Sorry. Student Loan is at Howard's Friday night but I'm sure too late for me.

Kelly called me at the radio show to say the Dirty Dozen Brass Band is the closer Saturday night at the Swamp. Plus he's really close to getting Graham Parker, an old rocker guy. And since Shemekia Copeland is at the Ark on Saturday May 10, she may also appear at GFT around that time. Also Patrick Sweany is scheduled for the Swamp and is apparently a blues guy from Northeast Ohio. Listen to the cuts on his website. Sounds pretty good.

OK, back to the kitchen. (now it's later) Have the mac n cheese in the oven. Good day's work and enough food to feed an army for a week, as long as the power doesn't go out.

No comments: