Sunday, November 16, 2008

How could it be a whole week since I posted??

This weekend was a big one. Like they all aren't. But this was supposed to be one of those fairly laid back ones.

Look, here's the unacommplishments list left over from last weekend:
Pulled annuals to garden waste
Affix light in closet--DONE
Clean out closet--DONE
Clean out dresser
Wash windows

All righty then, two more things down. Plus today was supposed to be eave-cleaning day but alas it's 32 and snowing and windy. Although I do need to take Ginger's fire pit and my drying rack into the garage regardless.

Friday night, Amy and I went to the soft opening of the fabulous new Cla-Zel Entertainment. We went about 7:30, after having had the steak special at Beckett's which for $9 you get a good piece of sirloin with steak fries and cole slaw. There were many people we knew and vaguely knew and anyway plenty of older folks. I heard there's going to be a dress code in the future, no jeans, men must have collars on their shirts. Unconfirmed. I had Stoly and tonics at $4.50 each and domestic beers were $2.50. Bob Manley played with Michael Peslikis and a bass player and then some four-piece jazz bunch of utes played. It's amazing how the ceiling is all patched and they left up the old chandeliers and maybe that fountain in the lobby is a little much but otherwise it's pretty cool. It's odd how the lighting was fairly bright but not bad. I was under-dressed.

We were going to go Saturday night but it was a good thing we didn't as shopping/4-hour radio show/GFT was enough for one day. Although I must say some unnamed trainee came in and did a really good job for an hour and a half of the blues breakfast. He knew a lot of stuff about blues, oddly enough. And was very smooth on the boards. Then when he left at 2, coincidentally, the transmitter froze up and the alarm went off in the station and our power was reduced to about a half-mile radius.

I am listening to my new Springer's Holiday Tuneage that I got on eBay for $10. The next day, I lost that second one to someone who bid $36. That was the one I had some of the tracks from anyway. The one I won is great. Including two New Year's songs. Speaking of which, anybody volunteering for New Year's Eve? I am willing. Talk amongst yourselves.

I noticed that people with popular/lucrative personal blogs are the kind of people you often try to avoid at parties. Going on and on, word after word, commas throughout their sentences, just, no doubt, trying to increase their word count because what would a blog be without a nearly daily entry of substantial length, even though, during that length hardly any information was imparted?

I was going to make a grocery list but I looked in the freezer and cupboards and decide I can go another week without going to the grocery AND donate $20 to the Cherry St. Mission for po' folks' Thanksgiving dinner. This is due in part to the good money karma theory because Friday I got a $20 check in the mail from some doctor I had overpaid in Sept. 2007. What are the odds the medical establishment is EVER going to refund you some money?? So give it away, I say.

So the cooking school today will involve a pork roast and a squash and some chicken broth and potatoes and I'm going to give fresh tomato soup a shot with my remaining tomatoes from the garden.

Plus I need to watch the cash flow after going to Elder Beerman yesterday for the Community Day sale where I bought a gray and black sweater dress, a pair of Ugg-like boots (grey), a black and white Jones New York party top, a basic black v-neck cotton pullover, a black "alligator" flat decorative wallet, a wacky multicolor sweater with a big button, a pair of Isotoner knit mittens with fake fur inside and suede on the palms, a pair of black pants with no belt loops for work, AND two necklaces. I, as did the salesclerk, thought it was one necklace although both had price tags but when I got home, they fell apart from each other and there they were: a black and red bead on wire and a red bead and silver ball on wire. They will look stunning together with the Jones New York top (see above).

Here they are separately.



And together (click picture to see larger version):



I just want to acknowledge here that letdown or whatever it is I know everybody is feeling. It's like you were wishing so hard before the election that the Republicans wouldn't win, thinking all the time (well, I was) that they'd somehow take the election, by hook or by crooked voting machines. And now we are thrust into what the media is telling us will be a joyless holiday season, when nobody has any money and stores are going bankrupt and way too many "How to Enjoy the Holidays on a Shoestring Budget" articles and commentaries are being produced. Plus the weather turned bad right after the election and suddenly many people have the bad cold thing. Remain calm. Listen to some music. (Although this study says prayer also lowers your blood pressure. I pray that Led Zeppelin will tour again so it's like prayer AND music.)

I don't know what I did last week at night. One night I called Miss Annie for 2.5 hours. Erin was out Weds. and Thurs. so I had to go to work extra early.

ALSO the Big developed this swelling on his neck so I call the vet and she says it's a cat fight injury so I am giving him antibiotics which he takes like a trooper once a day and I have to [GROSS OUT ALERT] squeeze this pus out of his neck which I have done twice now and he lets me clean it up with a washcloth and even put hydrogen peroxide on it, purring the whole time. He is the best cat ever. (Sorry, Pudge and Poot) He is sleeping a lot but is eating OK, even finishing off nearly a quarter slice of buttery toast this AM. One of the few human foods he likes.

And my Netflix movie this week is Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus, which Amy's son Evan had advocated be viewed and Wow, it's about Jim White, of Transnormal Skipperoo and Turquoise House and Crash into the Sun. Looks like it might be in the DVD player this afternoon.

OK, time to go out for the errands: library, stamps, maybe a coffee. Although I made a small pot this AM for the first time in a long time as I am out of Cool Brew.

I went to the library where both the books I reserved, the newer David Sedaris and the new Annie Proulx, were both in, got gas for $1.76, went to the Goodwill looking for a slip to wear under the new dress and a strainer, didn't have either one. Went to Kroger for a birthday card and a bottle of wine. Saw Michelle who said that the people who live in Annie's house think there's a ghost in there. Their dog won't go in the main bedroom and the woman feels she must avoid it sometimes. Hmmmmmm. Mailed some stuff.

Came home and watched that Wrong-Eyed Jesus movie which was excellent. Have a pork roast and a baker in the oven.

Heard some of Sarah Tabner's folk show in the car and that guy who did my show yesterday was doing her show and doing a helluva job.

No comments: