Sunday, July 13, 2008

massive frivolity

Friday I was good and industrious til about 10 p.m. I trimmed a bunch of stuff and watered and dug up all that holly next to the front steps with the intention of planting those 5 perennials I bought Friday but then I think I need to scrape that ugly green paint off the side of the steps before I do that. Then I called Miss Jenks, who has massive poison ivy on her head, and talked for 2 hours and drank wine and smoked too many cigarettes which was a bad idea as I had intended to save myself for Saturday. It all turned out OK anyway.

Saturday I got up and started mowing about 9 although it was about 88 degrees and 98 percent humidity. When I took a break in the cool house, it started to rain so I abandoned the mower. By then it was time to get ready for the radio show and when that was over, Amy and I went to the Classics on Main car show downtown. Then I went to the Kling Riboff.

I put this tattoo on.


Here's some bikes that were rode in.


Here's the marketing for the ribs called The Juice.




The garage where the ribs were delivered to.


Michelle, the blonde in this picture won with her Queen's Ribs. Her brother next to her had really great ribs too but didn't place. Sam's Big Daddy ribs took second and the fancy French ribs with champignons and truffles won third. Poor Chip. Again this year, he is shut out of the award with his curry ribs.




Here are those plants I got from Margie, planted where that holly was next to my steps.


Oh another rib picture.


This must have been from some other years but I like the idea.


This car, owned by Dan Butler's dad , won a prize. Maybe for longest car.


A cool hood ornament.

A couple other cool cars. I don't know why this picture is cut off like this.



Some other transportation.


So we were going to go to the Blue Devil and see Nick Moss and the Flip Tops, but somebody stole all their equipment in Canada last week, so they canceled. We already had tickets for Unknown Hinson at Frankie's and Doug and Chip were going to go but Chip had had a hard day so we ended up taking Doug. We got there just in time to see Polka Floyd and then the Hinson came on and played til 1:30 and we got home about 2. The bands were great. It was about 140 degrees in there. And some asshole youngsters were smashed against the stage, thrusting their hands and hats toward the Hinson. I don't know how he stood it. That man can play a great guitar and played Bridge of Sighs and Little Wing like the originals. Also he played Your Man is Gay, and Lingerie, and Polyurethane and Foggy Winders and I Cleaned Out a Room in My Trailer for You. When he paused for the audience to shout at the line Put on some lingerie, it was just me, yelling from the audience. It was an interesting mix of young nerdy guys and late 40s men nicely dressed and stupid drunk kids, some young couples, the men of which were obviously more interested than their dates. I bought the Hinson recent CD Target Practice, Doug bought a t-shirt, on the back of which it says "I'm ever womern's dream and ever jealous husband's nightmare."

Here's a YouTube of Unknown Hinson last year at Frankie's.



Here's a YouTube of Polka Floyd opening for Unknown Hinson last August at Frankie's.




Polka Floyd is coming to Howard's Sept. 26 and are at Keeter's in Waterville July 25 and the Village Idiot Aug. 30. And they are at the Smoke on the Water ribs fest the weekend of Aug. 2-3 but I can't find a lineup anywhere. Have to call around tomorrow at work.

So it's a beautiful day today and I finished mowing and weed whacked and dug MORE roots out of that place by my steps and wire brushed down the concrete and got off a lot of that green paint and planted those plants. Now I'm going to take the 8-foot ladder over to Amy's because although we just cleaned both of our gutters last month, they are sprouting maple trees and need to be re-addressed.

No comments: