Sunday, July 06, 2008

Best weekend ever

Thursday night, Amy and Connie and I go to the Perrysburg fireworks. We sat on the hill by that soccer field out by 475 which was pretty good but you didn't get the boom effect. Then we went to Frisch's and had the breakfast about 11 pm which was not that good an idea in retrospect.

Friday, about 1 p.m. I decided I could just drink beer until Ron and Deb's party but instead I called Amy to come over and help me finish the Starry Night on the side of the garage, which we did, which is fabulous but I don't have a picture of it yet. Then we went to Ron and Deb's because it was Ron's birthday and had a wonderful meal of brats and potato salad and beans and deviled eggs and many other things. By this time I had drunk 6 Negra Modelos which is WAY over my beer limit but I held on and Connie and Amy and I went to the BG fireworks which were pretty good although there was this glitch where they seemed to be over but there'd been no finale and Connie insisted we stay and then 4 minutes later there was a giant finale and then we left and went home because we had been out so late the night before.

Funny story: Amy says let's to park in the parking lot north of the Sebo Athletic Center so we go there and there are two guys screening people with a barricade and they ask Amy Are you with the Community Band? and she says Yes so they let us in even though it was 9:15 and the band had started at 8:30. We watched and they turned many people away after letting us in even though the lot was half empty.

Saturday morning at 4:20 my phone rings and it's Brian the news director and he wants something on the web NOW about this apartment complex fire in Toledo, so I schlepp into the green room and put some stuff up and go back to bed around 6:30 and sleep until 9:45. Then I went to the drycleaner and the library and the farmers market where I bought 2 ribeyes from natural beef or whatever for $16 and some fresh peas and a basil plant because I thought mine was bolting but today when I went out to get some there was plenty so I guess I'll plant this anyway. And then I did a radio show during which some woman called in to ask what that song was I was playing and it was Starvin' for Your Kisses by Paul Thorn.

Then I went home and made deviled eggs and then I mowed my front lawn and I picked Amy up and we went to Lyle and Judy's for the pond party which seemed to be sparsely attended but we couldn't figure out who wasn't there besides Gus who was driving truck that day. The food was unbelievable. I didn't have any meat, which there was Myles' chicken and brats and sloppy joes. There were great salads and desserts and Don Smith's chicken enchiladas and a death by chocolate dessert. I played euchre most of the time, some with the corn fest guy's daughter and then with Stubbs. Later Joe Baker got his guitar out as did the Ron or John guy who has the corn fest and then Connie yells out 'Deb play something, you're always saying you play the guitar.' So I played Angel After Hours by Amy Rigby but too fast as I was nervous and everybody clapped at the end so I was distraught for several minutes afterward.

Listening to Sonny Landreth's new CD From the Reach.

Today was Amy's birthday so I made some pasta asparagus artichoke salad and a fresh corn and tomato salad and some guacamole and bought some cheese dip and went over there and we played cards and cribbage and ate and drank wine. This guy had had this great gazebo thing he got a Wal Mart at the pond party so Amy went there and got one and we were sheltered from the sun. Amy cooked dogs on the grill. She just wanted a day where she didn't have to pack and go somewhere so it was great. I took the little stereo so we had tunes and we got some sun so what better time could have been had?

Jenks called while I was at Amy's so I called her when I got home and she and Jimmy had seen excellent fireworks. This Friday is Barb Miller's retirement festivity at Doc's so I'll try to hit that. Another action-packed week with Mississippi Heat at GFT Thursday and then the party and then Saturday which is daunting.

So it was the best weekend ever because the weather was fabulous, 80 and blue skies the whole time. And I have pictures but it's too late now to get them up. Stop back.

No comments: