Sunday, May 31, 2009

Home again, home again

Amy came to get me at DTW tonight after I almost didn't even get there as I thought my plane left at 5:45 but it was 4:54 (you can see how I would mix up those numbers). I try to kiosk check in and it refused me so I go to the counter and they say Uh oh, here's a boarding pass, run as fast as you can, which wasn't much running as that New Orleans airport is not very big so I throw my bags through the checkpoint and run barefoot to the gate which is about 30 feet from the checkpoint and I can hear the woman calling "Deborah Weiser, last call for boarding to Detroit" and I say "Here I am!" and run down the hallway and still about 12 people have not boarded yet and I get on the plane and someone else has my seat so I get bumped to first class. Tragic. I declined the meal but accepted a glass of the worst red wine I have ever tasted, and that's saying something. I had to have the attendant take it away.

Went to the Louisiana State Museum that had a special exhibit The New Orleans Roots of Rock and Roll. Fairly lame. But I have some pix to post of it. I have been to several state museums. North Dakota wins.

Back to work tomorrow. Plenty more pictures to post here. Working on that. The kids were great, we ate a ton of food, much at fancy restaurants and had some bevs but not too much and saw some music and touristed around. The weather was perfect: 85 and sunny and not humid for NOLA.

We ate at Stanley (website under construction), great breakfasts and sandwiches. MiLa, spent about as much as a house payment for dinner: several appetizers, two bottle of rose, a lackluster red velvet cake dessert, fab entrees: snapper, tuna, pork chops. Iris: started at the bar with fancy cocktails then a cheese plate then two desserts: coffee sambuca ice cream sandwich and poached pear stuffed with mascarpone with salted caramel ice cream on the side and THEN we sit for dinner and have oysters and mussels and chicken for Anne and lamb for Tom. and wine. And another big bill. Had drinks at the revolving bar at the Hotel Monteleone. Lunch at Crabby Jack's (no website) the day we got there.

Went to Ryan's Irish Pub to watch the second half of the Cavs/Magic last game which was sad. Tried to eat at Cafe Amelie this morning but the wait was too long but by the time we doodled around, we should have just waited.

The hotel was really good because the room was modern although it's in an old building and the pool, terrace, bar was cool and there was a free parking lot so Tom could park the van which as you can imagine, parking is at a premium in the French Quarter.

Much TripAdvisoring must be done. I said that about Mexico and haven't done that yet either. That internet is a black hole of labor. Another saying for the Mom's Mottoes coffee table book. To go along with the Super-Mini one I also have planned (Super Minis in Mexico are little shops like convenience stores with varying goods).

Talked to Miss Jenks this AM for an hour while having coffee out by the hotel pool. Bought no souvenirs. Back to the slave pit tomorrow.

No comments: