Monday, January 02, 2012

Holidaze

First, let me ask that you not share my blog on Facebook. Some people don't know it exists. Thank you.

As you know, I was going to go to Austin with my kids for Christmas. That all fell through when my son had to work Christmas Eve.

Instead, it's been a hectic couple of weeks but it's over now.

There was a party out on a little cottage on the river by Grand Rapids with some friends of Chip's, including a guy who I was a French major with at BGSU back in the 70s.

The next night, the Joe Baker Band played at Howard's and they let me sing Santa Baby. Then I sang Mustang Sally while Ginger played bass with the guys.

Christmas Eve, Chip had his family over for lunch and gifts, where I received many. Thank you all. My daughter had called me earlier that day from her car while driving up to San Francisco to be with her brother for Christmas. I was comforted that she was using Bluetooth, so not as dangerous.

Christmas Day, Chip accompanied me to Delaware. My Aunt Midge had sprung for the Kroger takeout dinner, so we had ham and mashed potatoes and green bean casserole and rolls and sweet potato casserole that I made and too many desserts. Gifts were exchanged. I got two pairs of earrings and some other stuff. We got out of there and home by 5.

My Aunt Midge announced that she was moving to Georgia Jan. 4 where her son lives. A silence fell over the table. My mom overall was pretty good. She did allow that the stuffing was not as heinous as the previous two years. She didn't fall asleep immediately after we ate. She liked the robe I got her.

This last Friday, we went to a party at the Balles. Delicious snacks and a good crowd. Thanks to Kerry for driving again.

Saturday, I thought I had a radio show but alas I was preempted. So stay tuned for my end-of-year concerts-I-saw show on Jan. 14.

Yesterday, I made a bunch of snacks (stuffed dates and stuffed mini-peppers and deviled eggs and jam thumbprint cookies and hummus with veggies and guacamole) and Chip cooked some brats and about 10 people went out to his place for football and eating. And light drinking.

On Friday, my sister took my mom to the ER because her blood sugar was way high and she was incoherent and more aggressive than usual. So during all this hectic weekend, I was in contact with my sister non-stop about this. Karen was concerned that mom would be released to Karen's care, which would be bad as Karen can't go stay with mom and mom can't stay at Karen's place. Apparently, my mom was telling my sister that the medical staff was holding her against her will AND that no one else was at the hospital except my mom AND that her roommate (she had none) was up and down all night.

Yesterday, I called the nurse station there but no one was available familiar with my mom's situation and no one called me back. Today, she's still in the hospital. I called her. She didn't know who I was. She asked where I was and I said Home. She said In Michigan? I said In Bowling Green. She said What are you doing THERE? She told me the doctor was in with her so I asked if I should call her back and she agreed. Karen then called later to say mom had called her and asked who that woman was who had called her from BG. It seems that if this were an issue connected to moderating her blood sugar, she would have come out of it by now with round-the-clock medical attention.

And in between all this, I've been busy with trying to launch Daddy's Girl, a takeout food place. I've done massive online research into suppliers and regulations. Tomorrow I can apply online for a federal tax number which I need before I start in on the mountain of forms for starting a LLC and getting a bank account and getting certified for food service, etc. etc.

I've talked to Ed Tyrell who owns the Stimmel's Market, half of which is where I plan to put Daddy's Girl. I bought the domain name DaddysGirlEats.com. I made a Facebook page. I got a gmail account. I created this blog to keep updates going while I'm in ramp-up mode. I've talked with the BG economic development folks about getting a low-interest loan. I've been in touch with the health department about their requirements.

I've started making and costing out recipes, things like meatloaf and lasagna and pasta dishes and stuffed peppers and for when warmer weather comes, BBQ sides. Also desserts. And appetizers that I will take orders for but not sell regularly.

Most importantly, I've started a fund-raising campaign on Kickstarter.com, where people can give small amounts of money that will hopefully accumulate to my goal of $2,500 by the end of January. As of now I've got 4 backers, with $165. Thank you.

Now, I need to try and get some bigger investors on board with small loans that I will pay back in two years.

It's all really nerve-wracking but my alternative is to get to May when my unemployment and buyout money runs out and have to get some low-paying job that won't even make my house payment.

So that's the end of 2011. Let's hope 2012 is great.
________________

No comments: