Sunday, January 08, 2012

Random thoughts

One, I've been meaning to post about how 2011 was a year of loss for me: lost my job, both my cats died, big tree in front of my house cut down. Maybe I can just look at this as simplifying...

More on the mom saga. After it was determined by the medical staff at the hospital that she shouldn't be living alone because of her vagueness, our job was to convince her she should go into a nursing home. Partly because somehow she developed leg pain that makes her unable to walk. Anyway, after Jedi mind tricks, I got her to agree and we took her to the Arbors in Delaware. It's very hospital-like: brightly lit, swarms of staff, two beds to a room. Nowhere I'd think would be comfortable for the long-term.

But if she could indeed get her walking power back and recover some from her vagueness, she could go back home. Much to my sister's chagrin, as probably my mom's failure to eat right to control her blood sugar will just land her back in the hospital, possibly over and over.

The vagueness is more than just the old people repetitiveness. For example, I had given her some current photos of my kids that I had printed out large and she said she didn't know any of the people in those pictures. Sigh.

After I got home, my sister texted me to say that my presence had made mom agitated and that I didn't need to come back down there - ever. She's not the most helpful...

So basically I lost the first week of the new year with that instead of soldiering on with Daddy's Girl, my food takeout venture. Costs are starting to mount up for that, with equipment and plumbing etc. NO TURNING BACK NOW. Really, read the blog on that for more info.

I did apply for a federal EIN and sent my app to the State of Ohio to register as an LLC. Next week, I have an appointment with my financial adviser on various things, like finding a tax guy and if I can get some of my retirement money out for start-up costs. And today I FB messaged about 50 people with my Kickstarter plea. After the initial days, it's sort of stopped. But I've got three weeks to go.

While I was messaging all those people, a message from FB popped up that said it looked I was using this feature in a way that it's not intended for and to slow down or I might face some restrictions. FB. Bah. Although I am counting on FB to be very helpful when Daddy's Girl opens.

For tonight I've online ordered the family meatloaf dinner from Bob Evans to pick up at 5:30. I want to see what people get there for their $24. Next week, I'll get a Pagliai's lasagna dinner because they're my main competitor in that food.

I'm also working today on a timeline of opening, just to make sure I'm doing all I can in a timely manner. On to that now....
________________________________

1 comment:

Sassy said...

Wishing you the best. Anything I can do, let me know.