Saturday, December 06, 2008

holiday spirit

Trying to single-handedly revive the economy, I went out shopping at 10:30 this morning and got home about 4.

First, I sent my mom a Christmas card with a book of Nutcracker stamps in it. Then I went to Big Lots looking for a bathmat to match my towels or a rug for the kitchen table area. No luck. So I went to Calico Sage and bought a bunch of stuff, creams and a couple things for the kids I'm not saying here on the off chance they read my blog. I stopped myself from gifting ME a cashmere black and white houndstooth check scarf.

Then I went to Elder Beerman and bought my mom four tops, probably only one of which she will like but she likes to open presents. $61 for all 4 though. Also no matching bathmat there.

I ate breakfast at the Grill about 1 and then went to Meijer and loaded up on some stuff, including a new 5x7 rug for the kitchen area for $24 and a gift for my assistant Erin. No matching bathmat there either. Plus I must mention the challenge in buying bathroom tissue. It took all my powers of multiplication and attention to determine that the best deal was a 9-roll pack that has 3,600 sheets for $5.69 although you could also get at 6-roll pack with 2,400 sheets for the same money and the same brand. How goofy is that?? Then I went to the liquor store and bought whiskey and vodka and some Scotch to take to Amy's party.

Then I went to GFT and bought some bags of Christmas Spirit coffee, which I never got any of last year. I called Sal while I was there to see if she wanted more than the 1/2 pound bag I was getting her. She says deer-hunting is almost over and they have not bagged one. I told her I would try to bag one with my car. Then I went to Ben Franklin looking for a tree topper and bought a 99 cent decoration for a window.

So in one hour at home I have laid the new rug and changed my bed and done 2 loads of laundry and some dishes and took out the trash.

It's been snowing steadily all day, not real hard, but we have at least an inch of snow if not more.

In about an hour, I'm going over to Amy's for macaroni and cheese before we go to Grumpy Dave's to see Polka Floyd.

Friday night we stopped in to Martha's birthday celebration at the Eagles and then ate at Cucina di Betto which was very tasty. I had shrimp and portobellos and basil tossed in marinara on fettucine. Then I came home and called Annie for 2 hours.

Thursday Amy and I drank too much wine. Wednesday was GNO where massive gift exchanging took place and now I have 3 new ornaments and some airline bottles of coconut rum and a biscotti and a bath scrubbie and a little puzzle in a box and a teddy bear that was holding a bottle of honey, among other things.

Monday was the radio meeting where Mark Zaborney the jazz DJ told me that I was the hit of GFT last Saturday morning when I commented on that crazy woman who heckled Spencer Day at the High Note last weekend.

So an exhausting week as you can see as I also worked 5 9-hour days. Only 10 days to work til Christmas frivolity and days off.

Amy's having cards next Saturday. Sherry and Fred are having New Year's Eve. Woo hoo!

No comments: