Friday, August 27, 2010

don't have to live like a refugee

Man, I am never home. And on the rare occasions, I am I don't know what to do with myself. I do housekeepery stuff like dishes and laundry and vacuuming. But otherwise I just pretty much float in and out of here, making an egg sandwich, packing a sensible lunch. You know my grocery list is pretty much kitty din, half and half, and chocolate.

And it's been another week of just that. Monday we went to see Todd Snider at the Ark in Ann Arbor. This after a weekend away in Madison, IN, at a blues fest but more about that later. So Todd. We went to the Clay Gallery on Main St. and I received this as a birthday present.



I'm sure my potter friend would have been passing it off as a second, but it caught my eye. Then we ate at the bar at Gratzi: calamari, pizza genovese with a great thin crust and good mozzarella and artichoke hearts and kalamata olives, and a smoked salmon carpaccio with crostini and mache. Yumba. With a bottle of Joel Gott cab.

Got in the Ark at 8, had to wait til 8:25 before Todd came out and he played til 9:10 and took a break. But he came back about 9:40 and played til 10:50. I thought he might not have been at the top of his game but I listened to the bootleg CD I have from when we saw him there last year and he was the same. So I get home about midnight. Yawn.

Tuesday I went out to the country and made about a gallon of fresh tomato sauce which we froze up in individual portions. Hope it's half as good thawed out as it was fresh. Yumba.

Wednesday night home, doing the housekeepery thing and I spoke with our northern correspondent for quite a while. Although I felt I was getting sick which is just this possibly allergy seasonal change thing that is laying many low at this time.

Last night, Amy came over and I fed her some sauce and pasta but she was not feeling good. So I watched some stupid TV and went to bed.

Tonight, although it would have been a beautiful night to just sit on my deck, I went to the Clazel to see Rod's Collision open for Levee Town. There were 15 people there when it started and you know 80 percent of them. Some more came in but when I left at 9:45, it was pretty sparse and us old guys were even filing out.

So the weekend in Madison was great although extremely HOT. Like 95. Good bands: Greg Filmore Band, Stacy Mitchhart, Teresa James and the Rhythm Tramps, Delbert McClinton who sang some duets with Teresa. Cryin' Time. Ate some barbecue and a banana split coz it was my birthday.

My friend from Texas called while I was in Indiana to say she had won a ticket on the radio to see Rod's tonight so that's how I got in tonight.

We toured the Lanier Mansion and went in one of the many wineries they have down there and had a sample but all that Midwest wine is too sweet for me.

We drove 75 to 275 to 50 to 421 there. Back we took 421 to I-71 to I-75 and through Cincinnati and home. Although the home trip was less time, it was pretty stressful driving, interstate at 80 mph and construction. I like that hour of wandering Indiana.

My mom is in the hospital. She went on her birthday Wednesday because her medications were out of whack, or so she says. I talked to her last night and she was disoriented, thinking it was 8 AM when it was 8 PM. So I didn't call today but I will tomorrow because I was going down there Sunday anyway.

I bought some new clothes this week: two belts--one sensible black braid, one silver chain, a yellow sleeveless blouse and matching sweater at Talbot's, a pair of low strappy grey boots.



Remind me later I own this stuff...

1 comment:

Cheryl M. Takata said...

Pretty chic boots (your taste is evolving) and I very much approve of your new piece of pottery.