Monday, July 09, 2007

hot and sweaty

And not in a good way. Generally, the one room AC does a good job in my little house but right now I'm roasting, or poaching, or something because I decided to clean the floor and woodwork in my bedroom, the last remaining room to get hardwood care. Which you would know if you have been hanging on every blog entry. I put up new miniblinds which of course, one of them the bracket is one-zillionth of an inch too close to the other one so I have to take it down and make new screw holes but they are up and the curtains are washed. Now, if that bitch cat breaks off slats on the new miniblinds, the Humane Society will have a new guest.

I was going to put a burger on the grill but damn, it's hot so I'm having the three-beer dinner.

Last night, when I came home to water, I was accosted by the old lady next door who has a stuffed bear screwed securely to a plastic stand that has a Fourth of July outfit on. The bear, not the stand. Little red white and blue jacket, hat and bowtie. Plus she has a whole bag of other holiday outfits for it and she has chosen the Easter apron and head bow for me to affix. Apparently, the velcro fastenings are beyond her skills. I point out it's an Easter outfit but she doesn't care. I asked her how long the bear had been sporting the Independence Day ensemble and she says, "Since you have lived here". That's been 8 years. THEN she brings out twin baby dolls about 8 inches high, wearing little camisoles and diapers and has me check them out because they are anatomically correct. She has them sitting in a little white rocker in her house, she tells me. And today, when the dog warden came around checking for dogs without licenses, Mrs. CL retrieves a couple of stuffed pups and says these are all the pets she has. Ha Ha. I bet the warden found that to be scintillating.

My daughter called tonight, bemoaning all the vacation time she has to take before the end of '07. She's going to New Orleans with her gentleman friend, as she refers to him, in September, where his parents live. Plus she tells me Tom has decided long-distance love ain't gettin' it with Hidy and he has a 33-year-old scientist girlfriend now.

Now if I can just collect some treasures to take to GNO on Wednesday, I'll have put in a full week.

No comments: