Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cooking school

On Sundays, especially cold windy Sundays, I like to have Debbie's Cooking School. I assemble a boatload of ingredients and make enough food to last all week. What's on this week's menu, you may well ask. I have poached a piece of salmon in Limoncello, basil and garlic. I made corn and sweet potato chowder. I have hardboiled 2 eggs and made tuna salad. I have prepared some broccoli to drop in a salad with avocado, green leaf, pecans and gorgonzola. I have a roast in a crockpot to which later I will add some golden potatoes and sweet small onions. It's 4:30 and I'm about 1/3 the way through a lovely bottle of Australian shiraz. YOU should have cooking school at YOUR house.

The last thing I decide to do is make cornbread. Just as I put it in the oven, Video Spectrum called saying they had a copy of the Prairie Home Companion movie. So I think I have 25 minutes. I get back 18 minutes later, the smoke alarms are going off, the cornbread is done in a cast iron skillet in the oven. OK Cooking School Over.

I also watched the movie Junebug, which was strange but good, no big actors, about people in North Carolina (the Souuuuuuuuuth) who say that thing my cousin's kids say when a conversation takes a turn for the weird: "Wellllllllll............." I recommend this movie.

The highlight of the weekend: The Sonnenberg Halloween Party. Music in the barn. Potluck delux. Fire. Libations. And costumery. Catty remarks. Wild dancing. Flirtatious behavior. Herbal uplifts. This holiday brings out a common marital division: men hate Halloween, women love it. So there were several single married women there who were DELIGHTFUL while their spouses stayed home alone, crying in their pumpkin beers.

There was discussion about what could an appropriate outfit for the Kay and Jacqui party NEXT weekend whose theme is Nature vs. Nurture. I'm counting on my bad nurse outfit to be good, what with Nurse = good, nurturing but unfortunately MY nature shines through, i.e. BAD. I saw a t-shirt at Meijer today that said "I'm the reason there are rules."

On to the photos (click on a photo to see a larger version):
Superlfy Stubbs on drums



Annie with Stef in the background (I need those boots) and Gino the mad scientist.

Rod plays

Kay's back. This was a wonderful costume which I did not get a good picture of. Please send me your photos: debweiser@email.com


Cindy P with a broken toe cuts a rug with Jessco.
More band.

Laurie Sears. Hmmmm.

Crowd shot.

Cowfolk.

Crikey and a tattoed guy.

Why do you build me up, Buttercup baby, just to let me down......

Band. Joe is the radioactive chef.

Best picture of the night, in my estimation. This could come back to haunt you, girls.

Marilyn, you're so lovely.

No comments: