Sunday, August 16, 2009

Great weekend

The new bush (see below).




The deck




Started with Rod's Collision at the ClaZel Friday night. With surprise guests!! Justin on guitar and Beth Apple on vocals. It was a good time. Dancing, drinking scotch.

But not so much scotch that affected a wonderful Saturday during which I did more digging in the back and I bought a variegated dogwood at Meijer for half price and now it's too hot to plant it. Plus I pulled a bunch of weird crap out of the raised bed. My tomato plants look pitiful, almost no foliage, but pretty many tomatoes. That bed needs some more enrichment before next growing season.

Had coffee on my deck both mornings this weekend. It is unbelievable. Like being at some resort. Got rid of the last boards and finally my heavy trash was picked up. Again have not mowed for weeks as we have had no rain.

Listening to John Nemeth Love Me Tonight. Man I cannot wait to see him at the Swamp.

Glazed the bedroom window to the north so I paint that and reassemble it next weekend. Oh, when I will be in Madison.

Plus it's time to start planning the Labor Day party which is oh four weeks from tomorrow. All the time in the world!

Last night Amy and I watched An Affair to Remember. OMG they do not write them like that anymore. Sleepless in Seattle notwithstanding. That announcer guy is Robert Q. Lewis, Amy. And they're both remakes of Love Affair. Which will be available for streaming on Netflix soon. Which I don't believe I've ever seen. Irene Dunne, who was Terry McKay, "even donated $10,000 to the restoration of the town fountain in her girlhood home of Madison, Indiana, in 1976."

Also I bought much healthful food, and bacon because it is BLT season.

I used this stuff Bona to clean the hardwood floor in my bedroom. It's amazing. Mist it on and wipe off with a towel. Feels good on the feets. I got it at the Ace Hardware. This after I moved my bedroom around again to get good reading light next to the bed.

Neko Case is coming to the ClaZel! Nov. 7! I can't believe it. She's playing at the Newport Folk Festival and Lollapalooza. And at the ClaZel! Plus Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek is going to be there Oct. 10.

Man it is like the Bahamas outside. NWS says it's 78 and 62% humidity but it feels hotter than that. Plus after a summer of nothing, it's suddenly hurricane season. So oil prices drop as supply is UP against the storm risk. Hasn't it happened in the past that oil prices go up because of the storm threat?? Kee-rist.

I looked at Mrs. Eilert's house next door. It is exactly like mine EXCEPT it doesn't have that dining nook at the back and of course it's not so fabulously decorated and it has no fireplace. The plumbing looks good and the furnace is very new. BUT my big concern is that if I bought it and rented it, I would be contributing to the number of rentals in the neighborhood. And if I bought it to flip it, I might lose. Plus no guarantee in any case that my neighbors would be good. So I will decline. And hope for the best in terms of new neighbors.

At least it's a four-day week this week and then two whole weeks and then A WEEK OFF!! Still don't have confirmation for Austin at Xmas. TOM

The book I got for free at GFT is The Mermaid's Chair by the woman who wrote The Secret Life of Bees which was made into a major motion picture. This book is not worth your time. Woman falls in love with priest or monk or whatever. Also the Garth Stein How Evan Broke His Head, not so good but too late for you wimmen who have already read it.

Waiting to read Loving Frank which I am on the short list for. About Mamah Borthwick who met an untimely end at Taliesin. FLW built Mamah and her hubby this house. Not so far away. Road trip? I don't know if you can visit it.

___________________________

No comments: