Friday, June 26, 2009

Swelterish

It has been 85+ every day this week. Fortunately we got a splash of rain Wednesday night when I was at Amy's drinking wine and some good downpours last night during some light thunderstorming. But I watered tonight as things still look stressed.

Those plants out front are doing pretty well although I moved that one wormwood because it was crowding that spirea looking thing. But on the west side of the porch, a big tall thing is crowding a fancy hydrangea thing. I nearly lost the plants in my windowboxes to lack of water. Gotta keep an eye on them. The far back, as I call it, is so heavily entrenched, perennial-wise, that it doesn't seem to matter that it gets no rain but I watered it tonight too. Maybe in the AM I can do some weeding back there. My grass is longish but I will probably wait until the beginning of the week to mow when it supposedly will be cooler. Actually it's kinda lush.

The raised bed is a cacophony of weird flowers and a lavender and tomato and pepper plants. It needs some attention. Herbs are doing great except the cilantro which I bought the slow-bolting kind and still it bolts. Tom and Jessica and I were talking about how it's weird that so much Mexican food features cilantro but how do they grow it in that heat?

I took Amy to the Crosby Gardens preview show tonight where (1) it was pretty hot and (2) the food was lackluster and (3) we didn't see anything we would lay out money for, even if we'd had a bunch to lay out. They had this Caribbean slant to the chow with chicken kabobs and fish kabobs and salad and black bean soup (a little toasty for THAT) and pineapple upside down cake. No chocolate. What were they thinking?? I kept wracking my brain to remember who I took last year, but I couldn't come up with anything and when I look back on the blog, I don't see that I went.

NPR interviewed Todd Snider the other day and it was such a bummer interview, I felt compelled to write and complain. They made him sound like a drug-addled rehab alumnus whose songs were full of pain. Come on! What about Happy to Be Here and Late Last Night and oh, I could go on. Tomorrow night, Todd at the Ark. I'm excited.

So, it's July Wednesday and GNO at Sherry's.
_________________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listen to those two snider songs you mentioned again.
Your missing them.