Monday, May 12, 2008

really behind

OK, I suppose you're wondering what fascinating stuff I have been doing that has prevented me from blogging and the answer is nothing although I will go on now at length about it anyway.

I got that haircut May 1 and still it's not what I had in mind and Amy thinks I'll have a hard time getting what I DO have in mind since now the haircutter is just working with what ever's available.

I've been doing radio shows and now that summer is here, the Blues Breakfast is on 10 to noon and I'm on noon to 2 except for some weeks when I am off at 1:30 because some minor league baseball will be broadcast.

Last Saturday was nice weather, perfect really, so I did massive yard work like leveling that new 4 x 10 foot bed I have. Gus came today and put some topsoil in it after rounding up the grass. And I dug out all the concrete blocks at the end of the patio and am going to make a path out to the garden area where we can sit and quaff if we feel we need some sun which we do. I bought 240 pounds of flagstone at Select Stone last Friday for the path. Also Amy and I installed a 16-foot piece of bamboo fencing along the back fence and now if I go buy 3 more, I will have a lovely backdrop for my plants, which are going hog wild. Plus those Honda trunks are amazing because I took a huge pile of brush out to the dump Saturday.

I must have done SOMETHING the weekend of May 2-4 but I don't know what. Ideas? I think we had cards with Sherry and Amy and Connie on the Friday or Saturday night.

Tomorrow night it's supposed to be pleasant so I'll get a bunch of stuff planted and mow the front which I have not yet because it's not been all that vigorous and mow the back again on Thursday (for the third time) as I am leaving Friday afternoon for the Ohio River Valley Folk Fest where I am picking up Miss Jenks at the Cincinnati airport beforehand.

Miss Jenks has sold her house in BG and bought one in her new home. It has a huge lot and extensive plantings so it's right up her alley and she gets to move in the end of June.

Both my kids called yesterday in the perfunctory Mother's Day fashion and Tom says that the weekend Anne and I are there is their CD release party and his and Jessica's one-year anniversary so I hope we get to see him for a brief period.

Saturday, I grilled steaks and asparagus and portabellas for Amy and Connie and had salad and bread to dip in olive oil and we played cribbage til late. Sunday, I went to see my mom and it was annoying because they never seem to have any money but my sister seems to be able to buy crap like white picket fencing to put around their shed. Where do people get this bad money sense from??

Martha's GNO May 7 was the annual swap meet and it was heavily attended and people made many delicious snacks which is good as I brought a bag of chex mix, in my can't get anything together way.

Russell Donnellon is coming tonight to stay at my house until maybe Thursday when he has a show in Rochester Hills, MI, and then he's back off-and-on throughout the summer. Here's his schedule. He's sleeping in the basement which I cleaned up so it's not so heinous.

And remember, Memorial Day, Monday, I'll be having the usual cookout where I make burgers and brats and if you bring anything else to eat, that's what we'll have. It starts around 3 and eating is around 5:30. Feel free to invite your friends. I always have too much grill stuff.

On Friday, May 30 is the Yellow Room Gang at GFT which is a bunch of Ann Arbor songwriters and ought to be good.

Now it's time to go prepare some lunch items for the rest of the week: guacamole and chicken salad and I have salad stuff.

I have not played my guitar in a long time. But I like to do that when it's nice out and I can drink on the patio and well, it's not been nice out.

No comments: