Monday, April 05, 2010

Blogging

I read somewhere that blogs are taking a hit from Facebook. It's just so much easier to go on Facebook and click around to see if anybody's doing anything or there's any news from your kids than to type out a big post of all the excitement you've been experiencing personally.

Plus for me, it's the coming home and sitting down at a computer after I have been sitting at one all day at work.

I found this out about my son from Facebook. Although now he has taken down the link, Tom had a preview of his art show to be mounted at the Coup d'Oeil gallery in New Orleans that starts next weekend. You can read all about it here but you have to scroll to page 8. One of the most fascinating facts is that "the closing party is also McLaughlin's going away shindig as he is moving to San Francisco in mid-May." Mommy's always the last one to know. I wish I could attend but it'd be a whole lotta cash for a brief encounter.

I didn't even post about going to see Paul Thorn at the Ark. It was a Friday. We went to Gratzi and had some shrimp wrapped in prosciutto and some little pasta packets filled with mushrooms and with mushroom sauce and some calamari. When the waiter asked what order we wanted them in, we said alphabetical. They were delicious all, but no pictures.

We ate at the bar as we like to do as we can pretend the whole restaurant is not there behind us; it's just us, the food, the wine and a server. We feel we need to write a pamphlet on the eating at the bar.

Paul Thorn was very good. No Band of Heathens, but good. And as it was a Friday, it was an exhausting night, driving up and back and staying up past our bedtime. We had gotten into one of those good ruts-- Friday night at my house, cooking, drinking two bottles wine, etc. And I miss it. Maybe soon although this Friday is Stacy Mitchhart at the Clazel and next weekend I'll be in New York.

Amy says she talked to Kelly Wicks who says he is negotiating with Elvin Bishop for the Swamp. I thought the whole schedule was already online but apparently it's not complete.

Here's a picture of some fried oysters we had. They were delicious. Although we had some unfried prior to and they were also delicious.



Last weekend, Amy and I ate at Chowders n Moor in Waterville where the food is very filling. I had a cup of clam chowder and half a philly sandwich with cole slaw and red onion and banana pepper on grilled ciabatta. Stuffed.

Saturday it was beautiful before I went in to do my radio show, 75 degrees and mostly sunny although the wind picked up to blast speed and by the time my show was over, it had dropped 20 degrees. We went to Fred and Sherry's later and helped them fill 100 plastic Easter eggs for the grandkids.

Sunday, I went to see my mom for Easter. We were going to go out but when I got there, she had the table set and so I made sweet potatoes out of the can with marshmallows on top and some very lackluster stuffing and broccoli with cheese sauce out of the frozen packet and she deep fried skinless boneless chicken breasts which is not a good application for them. Also she had made a pineapple upside down cake, one of her specialties, which was pretty tasty but overkill for me in the sugar department.

My mom did not look well. Her legs are all swollen below the knee and she nearly nodded off after dinner so I did the dishes and left. Sadly a waste of a perfectly beautiful sunny day as we were inside all day. When I got ready to leave, I showed her my new car which she said was a bad color (white) and too small. This after she had said my new haircut was what the style is these days, she guessed. The usual ringing endorsement. It's a wonder I'm not totally screwed up.

I keep trying to take a picture of myself with the new haircut but it just doesn't come across in pictures.



Also, soon you will not recognize me as I have purchased a kit of creams that purport to eradicate all wrinkles.

Much yard puttering has been done. Tonight I planted some pansies in my window boxes. Have much of the yard raked up. Uncovered many little buds. Forsythia is in full bloom. The magnolia tree is heavily budded and just starting to bloom which may be clipped by this weekend's weather. Hope not. Planted some grass seed in the bare spots as I do every year. OMG mowing must be done soon. I got some guy's name off the wall at the Ace hardware who says he will mow. I need to give him a call. Also bought a giant pot to repot the hibiscus.

This week: big fun. Wednesday, GNO at 149. Friday, Clazel. Saturday, Stefan's birthday party at Grumpy Dave's and Rod's Collision at Howard's. Sunday, hypertufa at the 577 Foundation.

Tonight was the last radio meeting of the year, yay.
____________________

No comments: